Silver ACEC/MA Engineering Excellence Award winners:
- BSC Group, Inc. for the Pocasset River Dredging project for the town of Bourne, Massachusetts. The innovative pilot project leveraged pond-dredging technology, a safe soil binding polymer, and permeable geotextile bags to contain the soil, minimize disruption to environment and community, and return clear water to the river.
- Fuss & O’Neill, Inc for the Ashuwillticoo Rail Trail Extension project for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) Highway Division. The project provides a safe, ADA-compliant facility that provides users access to recreational activities, as well as connection to commercial areas and places of employment.
- Gill Engineering Associates, Inc for the Acceler-8 I-90 Bridge Replacement project for MassDOT. The use of NEXTD beams reduced material and fabrication costs, diminished construction schedule risk, increased underside clearances, and allowed the successful use of single stem NEXTD beams.
- HDR for the I-91 Rockingham Bridges for the Vermont Agency of Transportation. The $50 million design-build project uses one-of-a-kind elements and precast segments, raised with massive cranes, to expedite and simplify construction while overcoming a unique, unbalanced layout.
- McFarland Johnson, Inc. for the MassDOT Design Project for the Burgin Parkway Access Road in Quincy, Massachusetts. This new bridge and road project successfully created a unique access point that provides a gateway to a portion of Quincy that was badly in need of a makeover.
- SLR International Corporation for the Wolf Swamp Fields project in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. The town contracted with SLR to perform engineering studies, work with local stakeholders, and identify alternative concepts to improve field conditions to meet the demand of increased and more effective and efficient recreational use.
- Stantec Consulting Services, Inc. for the “B-DC and B-C Roadways Project” at Logan International Airport. The project involved the construction a new two-level roadway between Terminals B and C to serve as enabling detour roads to facilitate the replacement of the existing roadway system, and providing a future HOV connector between terminals.
- VHB for Google Headquarters for Boston Properties. To accommodate Google’s growth in Cambridge, Massachusetts, this project team created a space that injected life into the public realm, maximized the site’s development potential, and contributed to the building’s targeted LEED Gold certification status.
- Weston & Sampson Engineers, Inc. for The Resilient MA Action Team developed the tool to make preliminary climate resilience analysis more broadly accessible; provide consistent, risk-based design standards recommendations; inform climate resilient capital planning and procurement; and provide a unified and automated online viewer that supports evaluation of projects.